Sports Day - Logic PuzzlesDuring the recent BrainBashers school sports day, four students were competing in the 400 metres hurdles. Official figures mysteriously went missing just after the event, however, various spectators could remember the following information. Glen was never suspected though!
1. Alex won and wore red.
2. The student wearing number 1 came third.
3. Blake beat the student in yellow, but wasn't wearing number 2.
4. Only one student finished in the same position as the number they wore, but they didn't wear red.
5. Emery beat the student wearing number 3 and Glen wore yellow.
6. The student in green wore number 2.
7. A spectator remembered that one student wore blue, but couldn't remember anything else about them.
Can you determine the positions the students finished in, along with the numbers and colours they wore?
Puzzle Copyright © Kevin Stone
hide workings hint answer print
Blake wasn't wearing 2 (clue 3) so wasn't wearing green (clue 6), Alex was wearing red (clue 1) and Glen wore yellow (clue 5), hence Blake wore blue, leaving Emery wearing green wearing 2 (clue 6). As Emery wore 2, and didn't come 3rd (clue 2), and Alex came first (clue 1), which means that Emery must have come 2nd in order to beat the student wearing 3 (clue 5). We now know Alex won and Emery was 2nd, therefore Blake must have come 3rd in order to beat the student in yellow (clue 3), leaving Glen in last place. As Emery came second and beat the student wearing 3 (clue 5), the student wearing 3 must have come 4th (therefore Glen) as the student wearing 1 came 3rd (clue 2). Blake (who is 3rd) wore 1 (clue 2), leaving Alex wearing 4.
Share link: www.brainbashers.com/zokl
Note: BrainBashers has a Dark Mode setting.